DHL International GmbH (hereinafter called 'DHL') is pleased that you have visited our website and are interested in our company, products and services. It is important to us to protect your personal data during handling throughout the entire business process.
In the following, we explain what information DHL global collects when you visit our website and how this information is used.
Personal data is specific information about personal or factual characteristics relating to a certain natural person or a natural person who can be specified. This includes information such as your real name, address, telephone number and date of birth. Information which cannot be directly linked to your real identity - such as favorite websites or number of users of a site - is not considered personal data.
DHL is committed to preserving the privacy of users of our websites. When you visit our web pages, our web servers always temporarily save for security purposes the connection data of the computer connecting to our site, a list of the web pages that you visit within our site, the date and duration of your visit, the identification data of the type of browser and operation system used as well as the website through which you linked to our site. Additional personal information such as your name, address, telephone number or e-mail address is not collected unless you provide this data voluntarily, e.g. while completing an online contact form, as part of a registration, survey, competition, fulfillment of contract or an information request.
Certain areas of the DHL websites including, but not limited to, MyDHL require registration or a password for access. Information obtained from users of these areas may also be used for DHL’s marketing purposes within the limits of national law. DHL provides a right of access and rectification of personal data under the applicable legislation.
Certain shipment data will be provided to the authorities of the country of transit or destination for customs and tax clearance or for security screening, as required by the laws of such country. The information provided would usually include: shipper name and address, receiver name and address, description of the goods, number of pieces, weight and value of shipment.
We use the personal data which you have made available to us exclusively for technical administration of the web pages and to fulfill your wishes and requests - thus primarily for fulfillment of a contract concluded with you or to answer your request. In turn, it helps us improve the services we offer to you, and to make our website's content and services easier to use and more appropriate to you.
Only when you have previously granted your approval or - if so stipulated by legal regulations - have not raised an objection do we also use this data for product-related surveys and marketing purposes.
DHL does not share, sell, transfer or otherwise disseminate your personal data to third parties and will not do so in future, unless required by law, unless required for the purpose of the contract or unless you have given express consent to do so. For instance, it may be necessary to pass on your address and order data to our contractors when you order products.
DHL would like to contact you in order to provide you with the latest information about updates to our website or our offers, news, products and services. If you contact or register with DHL on our web pages, we sometimes request that you indicate whether or not you would like to receive direct advertising material from us. If you are already a customer of DHL, you will naturally continue to receive necessary information about important changes in connection with existing contracts (e.g. rate changes).
We use tracking software to determine how many users visit our website and how often. We do not use this software to collect individual personal data or individual IP addresses, except for fraud prevention and network security efforts. The data are used solely in anonymous and summarized form for statistical purposes and for developing the website.
We use the online advertising program “Google AdWords” and the conversion tracking function of Google AdWords. Google conversion tracking is an analytics service provided by Google Inc. (1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA; “Google”).
DHL takes all of the necessary technical and organizational security measures to protect your personal data from being lost or misused. For instance, your data is saved in a secure operating environment which is not accessible to the public. In certain cases, your personal data is encrypted by Secure Socket Layer technology (SSL) during transmission. This means that an approved encryption procedure is used for communication between your computer and the DHL servers if your browser supports SSL.
Should you wish to contact DHL by e-mail, we would like to point out that the confidentiality of the information sent cannot be guaranteed. The contents of e-mail messages can be read by third parties. We therefore recommend you send us confidential information only by post.
To encourage sharing of DHL content, we are now providing Social Media bookmarking capabilities provided by . This means that you can share website content to all of your favorite social networking sites or send your friends and colleagues site recommendations via email.
To help personalize your sharing experience, AddThis recognizes and prioritizes your preferred social networks based on how you use sharing across all websites that you visit.
If you would like to learn more about how DHL uses your personal data, please read our Data Protection Statement.
Upon written request, we will inform you what personal data (e.g. name, address) we have saved on you.
We keep our data protection statement under regular review.
This statement was last updated on 02 June 2015.
Contact Status: 02 June 2015
If you have questions in regard to the processing of your personal data, please contact the DHL Data Protection Officer. The Data Protection team is also available to help with information requests, take suggestions or handle complaints.
Data Protection Officer for DHL
Gabriela Krader, LL.M
Deutsche Post AG
Corporate Center - 524
DHL Information Services
Find additional information on our Terms and Conditions in the following areas:
The shipper or consignee must contact DHL Global Forwarding prior to the tender of the shipment(s).
Bill of Lading
The documents made out by or on behalf of the shipper that constitute the contract between the shipper and DHL Global Forwarding for the carriage of freight.
Assembly / Distribution
Service The acceptance of two or more shipment parts from multiple shippers at a single origin airport; the assembly of such parts into one shipment for transportation purposes; and/or the distribution of two or more shipment parts to multiple consignee addresses at a single destination airport.
Beyond Delivery (*)
Pickup or delivery area (*) in the DHL Global Forwarding Service Guide, indicating additional charge applicable.
Business Day / Holidays
Business day is defined as 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding Saturdays, Sundays and holidays.
Observance of local holidays may cause delivery delays. Deliveries scheduled on a holiday will be rescheduled for the next business day.
Equivalent to transportation, refers to movement of shipments, including all services and operations of DHL Global Forwarding incidental thereto.
Equivalent to the term "shipment," one or more pieces tendered by one shipper at one time, at one address, and receipted for in one lot, and moving on one Bill of Lading to one consignee at one destination address.
The person or company whose name appears on the Bill of Lading as the party to whom the shipment is to be delivered by the forwarder.
Jewelry with a declared value or actual value of less than $100.00 per pound.
The transportation of inbound shipments from the airport or the DHL Global Forwarding terminal to the consignee.
DHL Global Forwarding.
Inside Pickup and Delivery
Pickup and delivery at locations other than a loading dock/platform or outside entrance of a building.
Refers to any national, state or local holiday.
Any shipment consisting of an individual piece of unusual shape, or weighing over 250 pounds, or with a dimension exceeding 60 inches.
The transportation of outbound shipments from the shipper to the airport or the DHL Global Forwarding terminal.
Repeated delivery attempts of shipments that cannot be delivered on the first attempt and is returned to the DHL Global Forwarding terminal.
Regular Delivery Service
The transportation and delivery of inbound shipments during regularly scheduled trips from the airport or DHL Global Forwarding's terminal to the consignee.
Regular Pickup Service
The transportation of outbound shipments from the shipper to the airport or DHL Global Forwarding terminal on regularly scheduled trips.
A single consignment, consisting of one or more pieces, moving from one shipper at one time, at one address, and receipted for in one lot, and moving on one Bill of Lading or shipping document to one consignee at one address.
The person or company whose name appears on the Bill of Lading as the party who tenders a shipment to DHL Global Forwarding.
Special Pickup and/or Delivery Service
The pickup and/or delivery of a shipment:
- After hours or Saturdays, Sundays and holidays
- Where pickup and/or delivery must be made at a specific time or by appointment only
- Where a vehicle must be specially dispatched or rerouted at the request of the shipper or consignee
- Where forwarding schedules require special service to meet service parameters
Defined as shipments which comply with the rules and regulations of DHL Global Forwarding Rules Tariff No. 1 and all laws, ordinances, and other governmental rules and regulations governing their transportation by DHL Global Forwarding.
Shipments Not Acceptable
DHL Global Forwarding will not accept for transportation or be responsible for the following goods:
- Anything prohibited by law
- Banknotes, bills of exchange, bonds, certificates, coins, currency of any nation, deeds, evidence of debt, mortgages, uncancelled revenue or postage stamps, stock certificates, shares, share coupons, travelers checks, war savings and savings stamps, any form of negotiable paper or instruments
- Gold and silver bullion, coined or un-coined, concentrates, cyanide, precipitates, sulfides or any other form of gold or silver bullion or precious metals including platinum
- Gems, cut or uncut, precious or semi-precious
- Human remains (cremated or disinterred)
- Liquor, beer, wine or spirits
- Shipments not properly packed or of inherent nature such that transportation could not be furnished without loss or damage to these shipments (used containers, containers that are open, broken, rattle, etc)
- Live animals, birds, fish, reptiles, and insects
- Furniture, household goods, personal effects, used-not for resale
- Shipments consigned to Post Office Boxes or "To Order Of"
- Shipments not expressly covered elsewhere but likely to cause damage to other shipments, equipment, crew or passengers
- C.O.D. shipments with a C.O.D amount exceeding $50,000
Shipments Acceptable Under Special Conditions
Consignments in the following categories will be accepted for carriage only when advance arrangements have been made with DHL Global Forwarding or DHL Global Forwarding's representative:
- Shipments with a declared value or shipment value protection requested exceeding $100,000
- Shipments consisting of individual pieces of unusual shape, or weighing over 250 pounds or with a dimension exceeding 60 inches
- Shipments requiring special handling devices, tailgate equipment, special attention or care enroute
Right of Inspection
As permissible by law, DHL Global Forwarding reserves the right to open and inspect shipments and to notify the appropriate authorities if they contain contraband, illegal materials or controlled substances. Charges for Weight Transportation charges for a shipment will be assessed on the gross weight of the shipment based on the greater of the following:
- Actual weight
- Cubic dimensional weight
- Minimum weight (where applicable)
Cubic dimensional weight will be derived from the cubic measurement of the shipment in whole inches (length x width x height) on the basis of one pound for each 194 cubic inches (for Domestic Air) or fraction thereof. Fractions of pounds will be assessed at the charge for the next higher pound. DHL Global Forwarding may re-weigh a shipment and rate it accordingly.
DHL Global Forwarding provides, at added cost, excess declared value protection for shippers who elect to declare a value in excess of DHL Global Forwarding's tariff liability ($.50 per pound, $50.00 minimum). By declaring the actual value of their goods, shippers are afforded protection against loss or damage to their shipment caused by carrier or forwarder negligence.
Shipment Value Protection
DHL Global Forwarding provides, at added cost, all risk shipment value protection. Shippers who elect to purchase shipment value protection by entering an amount in the shipment value protection section on the DHL Global Forwarding Bill of Lading are entitled to all the benefits of declared value protection plus the added protection against loss or damage caused by adverse weather, earthquakes, etc., commonly described as acts of God.
Consequential, Incidental, & Special Damages
DHL GLOBAL FORWARDING WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, REGARDLESS OF DHL GLOBAL FORWARDING KNOWLEDGE THAT SUCH DAMAGES COULD BE INCURRED.
- Anything prohibited by law
Preparation By Shipper
The shipper shall be responsible for preparing and presenting a non-negotiable DHL Global Forwarding Bill of Lading with each shipment tendered for transportation. Shipments will be subject to DHL Global Forwarding Rules Tariff #1 and tariffs governed thereby. If the shipper fails to present such Bill of Lading to DHL Global Forwarding at the time of tendering the shipment, DHL Global Forwarding may accept the shipment if accompanied by a non-negotiable shipping document or memorandum. No DHL Global Forwarding Bill of Lading or other shipping document or memorandum issued or accepted by DHL Global Forwarding shall be negotiable. Each such shipment, regardless of the form of the shipping document or memorandum accepted by DHL Global Forwarding shall be subject to DHL Global Forwarding's tariffs in effect on the date of acceptance of such shipment.
Preparation, Completion or Correction By DHL Global Forwarding
DHL Global Forwarding will, at the request of the shipper, prepare the Bill of Lading on behalf of the shipper. If the Bill of Lading delivered with the consignment does not contain all required information, or if the Bill of Lading contains any error, DHL Global Forwarding may complete or correct the Bill of Lading to the best of DHL Global Forwarding's ability without liability or obligation to do so.
The terms and conditions of the DHL Global Forwarding Bill of Lading shall apply at all times while the shipment is being handled and shall be binding upon the shipper, the consignee and DHL Global Forwarding.
Apparent Order & Condition of the Consignment
If the condition of the consignment and/or packaging is different from the shipper's description, DHL Global Forwarding shall insert on the Bill of Lading the apparent order and condition of the shipment as received by DHL Global Forwarding.
Packing & Marking Requirements
Consignments must be packed in a way to: 1) insure safe transportation with ordinary care in handling, and 2) not injure persons or damage property. Each piece shall be legibly and durably marked with the name and full address of the shipper and consignee, with the marks and numbers appearing on the Shipper's Letter of Instruction (SLI) or Bill of Lading.
Applications of Service Guide
Except as otherwise provided herein, this guide is applicable with all DHL Global Forwarding tariffs and subsequent replacements and revisions, and is governed by DHL Global Forwarding Rules Tariff #1.
Except as otherwise proved herein, the guide contains rules, regulations, pickup and delivery points and charges that apply as follows:
The City Served section of this guide names a representative list of cities where pickup and delivery services are provided.
For cities not listed, contact your local DHL Global Forwarding office The pickup and delivery services are also governed by the same rules and regulations that govern the airport-to-airport transportation of the respective shipments, including cubic measurement provisions as provided.
Application of Rates & Charges
- Rates and charges are published in United States currency and are payable in lawful currency of the U.S.
- Unless otherwise provided, charges will be assessed on the actual, chargeable or minimum weight; whichever is
- Charges will be assessed at the rates in effect on the day of acceptance of the shipment by DHL Global Forwarding
- In computing charges, fractions of less than one-half cent will be omitted and fractions of one-half cent or more will be considered as one cent
- Fractions of pounds will be assessed at the charge for the next higher pound
- Dimensional weight charges will be assessed in accordance with DHL Global Forwarding Rules Tariff #1
Pickup and delivery service will be provided at no additional charge, unless designated in this Guide as a Beyond (*) area, or is not listed, and are subject to the following provisions unless otherwise specified:
- Special pickup or delivery must be arranged in advance for any shipment defined as Shipments Acceptable Under Special Conditions
- Special pickup or delivery service will be provided only on instructions from the shipper (on the waybill or other shipping document) or from the consignee. DHL Global Forwarding must receive such instructions prior to removal of the shipment from the terminal at destination
- Additional fees will be charged for special pickup and/or delivery services
- Pickup and/or delivery service will not be provided when addresses are not directly accessible to vehicles. Shipments will not be handled beyond loading platforms, shipping rooms or doorways directly accessible to vehicles unless advance arrangements are made and applicable special handling charges assessed
- Loading and unloading incidental to pickup and delivery service will not be provided for pieces that cannot be loaded or unloaded by one person (a single piece weighing in excess of 250 lbs.), unless advance arrangements have been made
- Special pickup and/or delivery service will be provided only upon advance arrangements
- Responsibility for non-observance of conditions relating to shipments which are not acceptable for carriage rests upon the shipper and consignee, who jointly and severally are liable to DHL Global Forwarding for any loss, damage, delay, liability or penalties which may result from any such shipments
DHL Global Forwarding will make all reasonable efforts to deliver each shipment to the consignee at the address specified.
If a shipment is undeliverable for any reason, DHL Global Forwarding will notify the shipper to arrange for the shipment's return. The charges associated with the original shipment remain due and payable within 15 days from the invoice date. On receipt of the shipper's instructions, the shipment will be held for pickup, re-delivered or returned to the shipper, and the shipper will be billed for the applicable charges.
If no instructions are received from the shipper within 60 days of the date of shipment, DHL Global Forwarding will dispose of the shipment at public or private sale.
DHL Global Forwarding has the option to charge for each re-delivery of a shipment when the initial attempt at delivery cannot be completed. After three (3) attempted deliveries or ten (10) business days from the date of the shipment, whichever occurs first, the shipment will be considered undeliverable (see Undeliverable Shipments).
Special Handling Fees
Additional charges may apply for shipments picked up or delivered at a steamship dock, wharf or pier, private residence, or convention or trade show. Contact your local DHL Global Forwarding office.
A shipment which cannot be delivered on the first attempt of delivery to the consignee, will be returned to DHL Global Forwarding's terminal and the consignee notified. Re-delivery will be made only upon request of the consignee or shipper and will be performed by regular delivery service or by special delivery service in accordance with instructions from the consignee or shipper. An additional delivery charge may apply for each subsequent attempted delivery of such shipment
- Detention of Vehicle/Waiting Time: When vehicles are held for loading and/or unloading, an added fee per hour or part thereof per vehicle will be made for all time in excess of 20 minutes. Charges based on time will be computed by multiplying the hourly rate by the time involved
- Storage Charge: At destination, DHL Global Forwarding will store non-hazardous or nonperishable shipments without charge for up to 72 hours from the time of arrival, excluding of Sundays and legal holidays. After 72 hours, DHL Global Forwarding, at its option, may continue to hold such shipment as agent for the shipper or consignee for an additional charge
- Two-Man Service: An additional charge per shipment, in addition to all other applicable charges, will be assessed for pickup or delivery where DHL Global Forwarding requires an additional person to complete pickup or deliver
- Liftgate Service: An additional charge per shipment, in addition to all other applicable charges, will be assessed for pickup or delivery requiring the use of liftgate equipment
- Inside Pickup or Delivery: An additional charge will be assessed for inside pickup or delivery of shipments in excess of 100 pounds
Rates and charges published herein and in tariffs governed hereby are stated in United States currency and are payable in lawful currency of the United States.
DHL Global Forwarding is not required to provide credit privileges. The invoice date begins the credit term cycle and payment is due upon receipt of invoice. Failure to keep the account current will result in the account being placed on a "cash only" status. This status may impair the ability to use DHL Global Forwarding's services and have an effect on any discount program. In the event a lawsuit is brought by DHL Global Forwarding to collect charges, the party responsible for DHL Global Forwarding's charges will be liable for all reasonable costs thereof which include, but are not limited to, attorney fees, interest and court costs. Please refer to the DHL Global Forwarding Bill of Lading for Conditions of Contract.
Refunds for overpayment of transportation charges will not be issued to the extent the account is more than 60 days past due, and overpayment will be applied against any invoices that are more than 60 days past due.
- Prepaid means charges will be billed to and paid by the shipper
- Collect means charges will be billed to and paid by the consignee
- Third Party means charges will be billed to and paid by someone other than the shipper or consignee. Note: The shipper is liable for, and will be billed for, all charges and fees, plus all special handling fees, if the consignee or third party refuses to make payment
- Cash On Pickup means charges are collected in advance and prior to the shipment moving
- F.C.C.O.D. means freight charges will be collected from consignee on delivery
DHL Global Forwarding offers C.O.D. Service consisting of carriage of goods to the consignee, collection of cash (subject to limitations), cashier's, certified, traveler's or company check or money order made payable to the shipper, and delivery of a check or money order to the shipper of the goods. The shipper of the goods via C.O.D. Service is responsible for specifying the type and amount of the check or money order to be collected on the Shipper's Receipt or shipping document. The full amount of the C.O.D. and all other collect charges is payable in cash (subject to limitations), cashier's, certified, traveler's or company check or money order.
No privileges of examination or trial will be given prior to collection of the C.O.D. No partial collection of the amount of the C.O.D. will be made. No partial delivery of a C.O.D. shipment will be made unless the full amount of the C.O.D. has been collected.
If the consignee cannot be located, or fails or refuses for any reason to pay the C.O.D. amount, the shipment will be treated as an Undeliverable Shipment. Any such shipment which the consignee refuses to accept from DHL Global Forwarding may be stored or disposed of at the shipper's sole risk and expense, and any costs for storage and disposal of such goods may be charged to the shipper's account and shall be recoverable by DHL Global Forwarding.
Checks (including cashier's, certified, traveler's and company checks) and money orders for the C.O.D. amount will be collected at the shipper's sole risk. DHL Global Forwarding shall have no liability for any loss, including, but not limited to, risk of non-payment and/or forgery.
After collection, the C.O.D. check and money order will be promptly forwarded to the shipper via U.S. mail (certified).
The shipper may arrange release of shipper's C.O.D. amount – the release of the shipper's C.O.D. amount only in the following manner:
- By instructions placed on the Shipper's receipt or other shipping documents at the time of acceptance by DHL Global Forwarding
- By written order to DHL Global Forwarding at origin
The following restrictions apply to C.O.D. Service:
- The maximum C.O.D. amount is $50,000.00 per shipment by cashier's, certified, traveler's or company check
- C.O.D. collections in cash will not exceed $1,000.00
- C.O.D. service is not available on shipments moving in an Assembly or Distribution Service
DHL Global Forwarding limits its liability on this Web site and any offers made through this site to its standard terms and conditions for North America as stated in our North America Service Guide, our Air Waybills of Lading or Bills of Lading and this Web site. In the event of a dispute, the "place of suit" for all legal obligations shall be brought in the City of Plantation, State of Florida, USA.